For Immediate Release
Sergeant Tasha Thompson
The El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office typically experiences an increase number of calls for service regarding theft of mail during the holiday season. With the holiday season upon us and the increase of online shopping, we would like to provide some helpful tips to protect your packages.
- Have your package delivered to an attended location. Your place of work, a trusted friend, neighbor, or the carrier distribution center.
- Know when your package will arrive. Sign up for shipping notifications by text or email and try to have someone home or reschedule the delivery.
- Request a signature for the item being delivered. Especially for high value and important packages.
- Insure your packages. Companies will often offer automatic insurance, but make sure you ask prior to purchasing.
- If you are shopping locally, place your packages inside the trunk or out of sight to discourage thieves from breaking into your vehicle. Try to park in public areas or high traffic areas and be sure to unload your purchases as soon as possible.
- Use letter slots inside the post office for mail or personally hand your mail to a letter carrier.
- Do not leave your mail in your mailbox overnight. Pick it up promptly after delivery.
- Tell your post office when you will be out of town. You can request them to hold your mail until you return.
- Do not send cash in the mail. Thieves will typically open holiday cards to steal money.
If you witness a mail theft in progress or you see something suspicious, please contact the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office immediately at (530) 621-6600.